Pages

1.28.2012

Some Things Just Stick

Like little tricks my dad used to tell me when I was younger to help me fall asleep...

When I was younger I always had the worst time falling asleep. For whatever reason it was as if the second I was tucked into bed, the Pandora's box of things to worry about just sprung open. I would worry about the most irrational things, and most every night I would end up crawling down to the living room and nestling in with my parents. For a very brief moment, I always thought that I had gotten away with it, that I didn't have to go to bed just yet, and even better I got to snuggle on the couch with Mom and Dad. 

I was sorely mistaken. No sooner had I nestled in on the couch was my Dad picking me up and bringing me right back upstairs to bed. I couldn't help it, they both always called me a night owl, because just like my dad I have the tendency to be able to stay up late- different from my mom and brother who both fall asleep the second they hit the pillow.

Once I was finally tucked in my bed for the night, for the second time- Dad would sit on the edge and tell me to picture happy times. Sometimes he told me to think about visiting my Grandpa who lived on the West Coast in Northern California, or to imagine my upcoming soccer game- silly things to get my mind off whatever was stressing me out. He always said, and still does- that you can't worry about what you can't control- 9 times out of 10 I was absolutely worrying about something out of my control. 

Fast forward to two nights ago, at around midnight. I was completely restless and unable to fall asleep. Without even consciously thinking about it, I found myself imagining the same things my dad used to tell me to imagine when I was little. I imagined the summertime, the beaming sun at an outdoor afternoon barbeque with my family and friends, I imagined the upcoming Valentines Day dinner in the city with my boyfriend Sean, I imagined my Grandfather flying out for one of my spring races this season- and before I knew it I was dozing to sleep. 

When I woke up the next morning I started thinking about how somethings just stick with you. Whether it be silly tricks to fall asleep, or more independent events like remembering a motivational quote you read in an article, or bits and pieces from conversations you've had. On any given day, there's no telling what could possibly make an impact on us or why. It makes me wonder, what might I have said to someone or shown someone that has stuck with them. 

In this fast paced world we live in, it's important to remember your words and actions are always making an impact on someone else whether you are aware of it, or not. After all, some things really do just stick.


No comments:

Post a Comment