Pages

3.28.2012

Letter Writing, A Lost Art

Ever since I can remember, letter writing and receiving mail has always been a part of my life. Starting when my younger brother Drew was old enough to understand the concept of mail, our Auntie Eileen began sending us cards on or around different holidays. Each would have a silly note inside, sometimes a $5 dollar bill- but no matter the occasion, crossing the street with mom and blindly reaching into our mailbox to pull out our letters was always exciting.

As we grew up, the sentiment attached to letter writing and sending cards stayed with me. Anytime I received a letter or a quick note in the mail, something about it was so genuine and never failed to make me smile.

Unfortunately with the rapidly progressive technological society we live in today, this art of letter writing is becoming more and more scarce, as it is 'replaced' by emailing, text messages, Facebook messages, and tweets. The genuine correspondence of taking the time to sit and handwrite a letter is almost completely shifted into technologies' "cyber" world.

I will be the first to admit that letter writing is time consuming, and it is absolutely fair to say that sending a quick email to someone is not only more expeditious, but feasible to do in most busy schedules. I am an avid user of many technologies; my iPhone is rarely not in my hand or on my person, I am constantly shooting text messages and email correspondence back and forth on the go- it is the fast paced way of our world now a days. In saying that, however, I think sometimes it is important to recognize the emotional response that is evoked when you have sent a heart felt, handwritten note to a friend or loved one.

We have become so accustomed to our mail being entirely composed of junk mail, bills, magazines, store advertisements etc. it is almost never an expectation to receive a personal piece of mail in that stack of nonsense. When you either send or receive a personal note from a friend or loved one via your mailbox, it is a much more sentimental and thoughtful gesture than were you to receive the same message in an email.

Next time your thinking of reaching out to someone and sending them a quick note- jot it down on a piece of paper, fold it up, pick up a few stamps at the post office and send it away with the mailman! I can guarantee it will be much appreciated and leave a definite smile on both the sender and receivers' face.

Above you see a variety of different stationary options, I am a lover of all stationary and it is my one of my worst shopping weaknesses, I have developed quite the collection! These are a few of my favorite designs out there right now- always remember though, most stationary stores will have an option to customize! Picking up a pack of 8 adorable note cards could be as easy as stopping by your local Target or as complex as designing your own!

Starting from the top left and moving left to right here are the links for the stationary options displayed above!

1) Vera Wang 'From the Desk of'
2) Rifle Paper Co. Monogrammed Floral
3) Minted 'Talk Bubble' Personalized
4) Kate Spade 'From Me to You'
5) Vera Wang 'Seafoam Flat'

Everyone loves receiving mail, especially when it's completely unexpected! Do your part to make sure this beautiful tradition of hand written letters remains constantly relevant in our busy lives!

1 comment:

  1. I love receiving mail from friends and family although it doesn't happen often and I have to admit I don't ever send anything other than the odd birthday/christmas or anniversary card. When I was young my cousin and I would regularly hand write letters to each other and it was so lovely to read. It is a shame to think that my children may never write a letter to friend :(

    ReplyDelete