Pages

2.16.2012

Just Three Peas in a Pod

November 26, 2008, over 4 years ago- I was introduced to two people who would soon after become two of the greatest friends I had. Little did I know the journey our friendship would take and the difficulties we would be faced with.

The friendship we shared was unique, and unlike anything else I had experienced up until that point. Almost immediately after we met were we entirely inseparable. Just as these two girls, who happened to be sisters, were swept up into my family as if they were my own sisters- was I swept into their family as well. Each of our parents served a very important part in each others' lives- and the relationships we formed with each others families were just as valuable as the friendships we shared with one another, as best friends.

Like most families, each of ours had their own intricacies. My two friends were from a family who had the unfortunate experience of dealing with a difficult divorce, but out of that divorce came great happiness and joy with a new addition to their family. To clarify I had not met my best friends until after this new addition to their family had long been established.

His name, was Andy- and he was an absolutely, hands down incredible person. Andy was the second husband of my best friends' mother. She was an extraordinarily strong, independant woman, with deep convictions. She was fiercely loyal to those she cared about and above all else, she had an amazing heart. She had met and married Andy quite some time later in life. Andy, he was something else- he had this way of talking to you that could make anyone feel calm, and safe. He was mild mannered, but had a wonderful sense of humor, and just like my best friends' mother, he had a enormous heart. Andy would do anything, for anyone at absolutely anytime. He put others before himself 100% of the time, and positively enjoyed every minute of it.

The sad truth of this story is that the entire time I knew Andy, he was battling with a vicious disease- cardiomyopathy. At this site you can read more about cardiomyopathy and even donate to support families affected by the disease. Andy's personal blog, can be found at this archived site Andrew Bourland, here you can read the posts through his journey prior to his disease taking hold of him, the details of his disease, and the ways he dealt with it once it had fully evolved. Lastly here is the blog of Cate, one of my best friends- here you can read a short memoir she has so beautifully written in Andy's honor.

Today February 16th, 2012 marks the 4th anniversary of Andy's passing. My connection to Andy, and his family was nothing short of incredible. My two best friends, their mother and sister, and Andy of course, were like a second family to me. The journey that we experienced together in those two years, as Andy's disease quickly took hold of him in a way that nothing could reverse, I learned an incredible amount about myself, and about the immense importance of the relationships in my life. 


On February 16th of every year since my senior year in high school, I think about the events that strung from the end of December when Andy was moved into hospice care until today, when 3 years ago Andy passed away. Each year I think about the ways in which Andy, both in life and in death had a positive affect on me as a person, and each year I am thankful for the short period of time that I knew him. 


I cherish the relationships I have with every fiber of my being, and I am constantly reminded of how important it is to love, and as Andy often alluded, to just let life happen.

You are remembered Andy, everyday for the incredible person you were and for the remarkable impact you had on so many peoples' lives.

With Love,
  Jenn



No comments:

Post a Comment