Pages

2.13.2012

People Make Choices, Choices Make People

Someone who was a part of my life a long time ago used to say this;
"people make choices, and choices make people..."
Whether they were talking about their life, or my life- but mostly just in general it was a way of rationalizing things. Not necessarily rationalizing by its typical definition; to attempt to explain or justify with logical, plausible reasons- but more so this idea of understanding that with every choice you make, good or bad- you have an affect not only on your life, but the lives of others. This person whole heartedly put all of their trust into this idea when faced with any type of decision to make- the second you begin to ponder the different roads you could follow, you've already altered your future. I think that they're right.

Sometimes the hardest decisions we come across in our lives, to others may seem like the most simplest of choices, but in reality everything that we do, is something that we have consciously made the decision to do. This old friend of mine was very black and white in their way of thinking, and more often then not it would drive me crazy whenever this quote was mentioned. Thinking back though, they were right. It wasn't ever about the specific situation, or the exact decision either of us were making. It was just the reality that we make choices on a minute to minute basis, and to think that there is a right choice in every scenario, is unrealistic at best.

I have definitely found more often than not, this silly quote which I often shook my head at, or got annoyed at the mention of, runs through my head all the time. I guess it ended up being one of those things that really did just stick with me. This person, was always the utmost of nonchalant. In dropping this line about choices it was always with this 'shrug it off' tonality. I think thats something that is important to remember.

Obviously with every decision comes a consequence- some more serious than others, but often times the minute to minute decisions, those are the ones we can easily find ourselves over analyzing. Making a choice takes a split second, and we're faced with them all the time, sometimes I think it's important to remember to just make the choice because not doing anything is going to affect you just as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment