Pages

2.21.2012

Simple and Chic Makeup Look in Under 10 Minutes!

Everyone's morning routines are different, some jump out of bed early, others have the luxury of sleeping in! I wish! My day to day morning routine begins most every morning at 6am on the water for rowing practice. Coming back to my room after working out- and spending a lot of time on my makeup is out of the question when I have a class to get to and a full day to prepare for! So if your short for time in the am, heres my typical makeup look that lasts all day- and is simple enough to accomplish in under 10 minutes!

First things first, it's good to invest in a hypoallergenic makeup removal towelette. Everyone has different levels of sensitivity in their skin, so it's very important to test out different ones before you dive right into sweeping the makeup off your eyes, and then end up starting your day with your eyes swollen to the size of grapefruits, trust me as I speak from personal experience! I really like the Neutrogena Makeup Removing Cleansing Towelettes.

To start, I use the Laura Mercier Moisturizing Foundation (11), for all over coverage- some mornings you might wake up and your skin could hate you and be blotchy, or you could be suffering from a lagging cold and you've got the tired and sleep deprived look going on, for those mornings this product is especially vital! Finding the tone for you is best done in a makeup store, you can use the sample products to test out skin tone matching on the top of your hand! I like to use a little lighter tone of foundation, specifically for under your eyes so that a) the natural sparkle in your eye pops, and b) you look more bright and alert- and awake!

Once I have my base foundation applied, I use the NARS Highlighting/Bronzing Blush Duo (10). With the highlighting and bronzing blush pallete, I make sure to evenly cover my face with the bronzer using the Bare Escentuals Full Flawless Face Brush (7). Making sure to tap away any excess pressed powder before bringing the brush to my skin- and being somewhat delicate in application so as to avoid any unevenness in color application. After I am satisfied with this, I take the Bare Escentuals Flawless Radiance Brush (1) and apply the blush color to the high points of my cheek bones, applying a lighter amount towards my temples, and very lightly on my nose. Special note! Smiling while applying the blush to your cheek bones can help you find just the right placement!

So by now, about 2 minutes have gone by and my face makeup is complete. The eye makeup is the most time consuming part of the completed look, but even at that this simple and chic look will not take you longer than 10 minutes tops!

First things first, and something that most women tend to forget, your eyelids are just like your face, and the skin requires a good base coverage to ensure that the makeup will last through your day. My absolute, hands down, swear by it, favorite product is the Too Face First Base (13). This product provides extremely light coverage on your eyelids, and is very sensitive to the skin. The best quality of this product is that your eye makeup will last the whole day. 

Following the first base, I use the Sephora Collection Pro Natural All Over Shadow Brush #12 (2) to apply a lighter color, neutral eye shadow from the Too Faced Natural Eye Neutral Eye Shadow (12) palette to the under brow area. A great thing about this palette is that it include three cards, demonstrating the DIY instructions with inclusion of image explanation to achieve different types of looks with just the use of this palette!

I like to use the palette for the entire look on occasion, mostly when I have more time to blend and apply layers of color- but for this quick morning look, I turn next to the bareMinerals Eyecolor (15) color name "Queen Phyllis," using the  Sephora Collection Pro Natural Small Eyeshadow Brush #15 (3) brush this color, which is lighter and has a bit of a glimmer to it, over your eyelid, making sure to blend lightly where this shade, meets the neutral shade you applied to your brow bone. 

Next up, I take the Sephora Collection Pro Natural Dome Smudge Brush #13 (5) and with the  bareMinerals Eyecolor (14) color name "Queen Tiffany," which is a few shades darker than the eyelid glimmer you just applied. Swirl the tip of the smudge brush to collect the color from the lid of the bareMinerals eye shadow container, tap the brush to eliminate any loose product, and then apply the color with the smudge brush to the area of your eye lid right above your eye lashes, making sure not to come close to the crease with this color. The effect of the darker shade is only to add a little bit of a dimension to the color on your eye. 

With the Bobbi Brown Eye Liner Brush (4) you can apply a pressed powder eye shadow as a soft eyeliner on either the top or bottom lid. For the daily look, I prefer to apply the eye liner to my upper lid. Run the tip of the liner brush through the Sephora Collection Colorful Mono Eyeshadow (16) of a dark, if not black, almost black color- and carefully apply a thin line as close to your eyelashes on your upper lid as possible. Using the eye liner brush with the pressed eye shadow, the effect of the eye liner will have a very soft, natural look. Also, using the Sephora Pro Natural Crease Brush #10 (6) you can use the bareMinerals color "Queen Phyllis" to add some light to the inner corner of your eyes. Just a small bit of this glimmer can really brighten the whole look.

To finish the eye makeup all we have left is the eye lashes! For my every day look, mascara is always a must, but not everyone enjoys the way mascara feels on your lashes- and some just don't have the patience to apply it. With the help of the Shiseido Eyelash Curler (8) , your eye lashes will curl up, and away from your eyes- making it a lot simpler to apply the Diorshow Dior Mascara (9). One coat of this mascara is just enough for a simple daytime look! It's texture is very smooth, and the shape of the bristles of the application brush make for an easy time applying the mascara. 

Lastly, once my face and eye makeup is complete, before I head out the door I apply a v e r y small amount of Stila Lip & Cheek Stain (17) in the color raspberry crush, and sweep the smooth Nivea Hydrating Lip Care (18) chapstick over the top. The nivea product enhances the Stila lip stain, and gives your lips a little bit of sheen!

Everyone's coloration is very different, I have an olive skin complexion with brown eyes and brown hair with natural auburn undertones. Most make up artists suggest that you find your personal color palette using either your eye color or hair color. This slideshow by MarieClaire gives a good generalization about what certain hues and shades enhance the look of specific color tones. 




No comments:

Post a Comment