Pages

2.06.2013

Making Moves

Today my younger brother Drew will sign his National Letter of Intent to play Division 1 Collegiate Soccer for the UMass Amherst Minutemen, and I cannot contain the pride I feel and excitement I have about this!

I have watched my brother grow up with a soccer ball at his feet. In the beginning just tagging along at my soccer practices when I was younger (coached by our Dad), to starting on his own path to success. It's been 15 years of watching my brothers' soccer games, traveling here and there to see him play. As the years have gone by, we watched him grow into the confident, tenacious, talented athlete and leader that he is today. 

I can't help but watch him hit the field now, and see the little kid in the bottom left of this picture- and smile knowing just how hard he has worked to get where he is today. The dedication and commitment my brother has made to this sport and the respect he has shown for his own goals of playing beyond high school is matched by none. Through the highs and lows, injuries or lulls in teams, frustrations and aggravation, he's never stopped working to be better. There was never a moment when I had any doubt my brother wouldn't continue to play soccer after graduating high school- and I couldn't be more proud of him today as he finally will see that dream materialize before his eyes. 

My brother is modest, quiet, and somewhat reserved when it comes to his success. He will never be the first to tell you about something excellent he has achieved, instead he would rather keep it to himself. So much so, that when asked if he would take part in the signing ceremony at his high school, he had to stop and question whether or not all the fuss was really necessary.

 No newspaper articles, no fluff... just soccer. 

He's worked hard for this, and he has become more than just an incredibly skilled athlete, he has become a great leader-something that at times, I'm not sure he thought would happen. Captain of both the varsity soccer team at his high school, and his nationally ranked club team, he has most certainly become an incredible teammate, one that the UMass Minutemen will be lucky to have. 

While I still can't really believe that he's going to college next year, I can't wait to watch him take to the field for the next 4 years. 

Congrats Buddy, I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment